Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Coverage Ink Client Sells Spec to Phoenix Pictures


Yeah! Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! I knew this one was a winner when I first read this script 3 years ago. There was incredible energy on the page, and Javier Rodriguez' action-packed Renaissance-era hitman story was unique and just damn cool. I hit him with a blizzard of notes but also a ton of encouragement. Empowered, Rodriguez didn't flinch and went on to deliver a polish that knocks your socks off. Which further proves my theory--if you're willing to listen to constructive criticism and put in some hard work, you will be rewarded. Check out the article on the sale from Variety.com:
Phoenix Pictures has snapped up Javier Rodriguez's spec script "The Heretic" and is fast-tracking the Renaissance-era action-adventure thriller.

Story revolves around a fallen priest-turned-hitman sent by a rogue archbishop to assassinate Martin Luther, only to discover that not everyone is telling the truth.

Phoenix's Mike Medavoy, Arnie Messer and David Thwaites will produce. Michael Connolly of Mad Hatter Films, which manages Rodriguez, will exec produce.

Phoenix plans to start production by the first quarter.

Phoenix is in production on action-thriller "Shutter Island," starring Leonardo DiCaprio and directed by Martin Scorsese, and announced last week that it's partnering with Gold Co. on "Amish Gone Wild." It's beginning production next month on spy thriller "Shanghai," helmed by Mikael Hafstrom.
Now is that kickass or WHAT? We say thee, huzzah! You rock, Javier!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very happy for you, Mr. Rodriguez! Congratulations. It gives me some hope. I have been writing screenplays for 9 years now and have basically not gotten anywhere, although my query letters have landed me a few submissions, they always get a pass or I never hear back. I wonder if it was like that for you too. I have taken a class and bought all the books but still nothing. Maybe its luck or my screenplays just don't set people on fire or heat, which i don't have and don't know how to get! Well I will keep at it because I enjoy it and I'm too far in to stop now. Congratultions to you again.

Anonymous said...

Reggie, I'm going to interview Javier soon and we'll post that here. I want to get all the details myself. In the meantime, just keep in mind that 9 years getting nowhere is not unusual at all when it comes to breaking in. Sometimes it's just about finding that one concept that people really respond to.

Anonymous said...

But how much did he get paid? Do you really make that big money when you sell your script?